Saturday, March 29, 2014

Unit 9 Wellness Plan

 



Introduction:
Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically?

“Integral health can only be known and achieved though the development of our inner life and our inner healing capacities” (Dacher, 2006, p. 9).

As a health care provider it is essential to develop our inner wellness to be able to guide our clients to an Integral health. Health care professionals are the example of the communities; and the main reason why people look for health care professionals is to find guidance, help and clarity for the things that they don’t understand or don’t have knowledge about. And how can someone teach what they don’t know? Is a common rule of practice for practitioners, we choose to become the helpers of the communities and with that said with this decision it comes a great responsibility.

 As Dacher expresses on his book “we live blindly among unimaginable treasures, and at the end of our days, we leave life unaware of the great wealth and the great health that have always been right in front of us” (Dacher, 2006, p. 7). These words should be the inspiration for health care practitioners; we understand the true healing, and the holistic approach to find wellness. Therefore, is our responsibility to teach it to others that are walking blind in the path of life.

What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?

            I need to work on forgiveness and emotional self control; also I need to develop my spiritual meditation. Physically I need to be more discipline and exercise more.

Assessment:
How have you assessed your health in each domain?

My first observation in my spiritual, physical and psychological life is that I need to prioritize my time better and make an effort to increase these practices into my regular routine. I want to achieve a balance in my life; knowing that I am human and I am always going to be stronger in one area more than the other. Identifying what I need to focus on more is my first step to Integral Health. I also want to work on my inner being of stress and anxiety; I want to be able to stop myself when a negative thought invades my mind and replace them with positive, healthy thoughts. These practices will help me to alleviate stress and negative consequences like poor decision making. The way that I am assessed each domain is to practice each and every day and even more if necessary during difficult times.

How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically?

On a scale from 1 to 10 – 1 being the lowest score;

Spiritually wellness I would rate myself a 7: I had always tried to have meditation time at least once a day. Spiritual wellness is very important for me to have and I enforced to my family and my children. However, I know that I could be more devoted to my religion and dedicate more time for church.

            Physically wellness I would rate myself a 5: Because I need to dedicate more time to exercise and outdoors work. Psychologically wellness: I would rate myself a 6: Because I need to learn more self-control and positivity; However, I always tried to look at the positive side of all situations and I truly believed in the Golden rule. To apply the golden rule adequately, we need the knowledge and conscious imagination. We need to know what effect our actions have on the lives of others. And we need to be able to imagine ourselves, vividly and accurately, in the other person's place on the receiving end of the action.

Goal development:
List at least one goal you have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and Spiritual.

My goal is to find a balance and be psychologically healthy and prepare to help others in my profession. As a health care professional I would have to exercise these practices more often to be able to be stronger for others. Physically; my goal is to get back to my healthy weight and devote more time to exercise during the week; and continue to search for additional meditation practices like yoga exercises and meditation practices. Spiritually: My goal is to be more active in my religious beliefs and be part of the community in my church.
Practices for personal health:

The first Psychological, strategy that I must implement to foster growth is to prepare myself and stress on the preparation of the mind. “We choose to cultivate an attitude of loving-kindness. Loving and kindness opens the heart and ensures the help and cooperation of others” (Dacher, 2006, p. 50). Love and kindness is the antidote to anger and hurtful emotions that we can all develop very ease but they are very difficult to get rid of. “Making daily choices to re-channel our energy in the direction of internal health” (Dacher, 2006, p. 50). The second Psychological strategy is used the skillful action by only supporting positive behavior in my life and by implementing control and discipline in my thoughts and actions, knowing that as Dacher said on his book “This is not easy for those who consider any control or discipline over their behavior as an assault on personal freedom when in fact most if not all our actions are conditioned and programmed and few if any are actually freely chosen (Dacher, 2006, p. 50).

Spiritually I would implement is the Subtle Mind strategy and the Calm-abiding strategy. Subtle Mind: Take 30 minutes during the day and practice mediation concentrate in the breath and the mind. Peaceful breathing leads to peaceful mind (Dacher, 2006, p. 75). Calm-abiding is a mind undistracted by feelings or negative thoughts a Teflon mind that can help me to recap and retreat during difficult times and leading me to a more clarity. Physically: I would implement yoga exercises into my daily routine these types of exercises can help me reaching my goals to get into my ideal weight and also can help me to practice meditation.

Practices for personal health:
Commitment:

The way I would assess my progress in six months is by keeping a log of my weigh and a diary for my emotional and mental health accomplishments.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Monica! This is a well thought out wellness plan! You have some excellent points in your essay, your first point for why wellness professionals should take the journey into integral health themselves. The reasoning is because people come to them mainly because they do not know what to do. So if the professional has taken the journey, went through the speed bumps, and found the finish line then they can guide you through every step of the way. In your aspect you need to work on I think forgiveness would be in there for a lot of us. Forgiving someone who has wronged us is hard business, especially if we cannot understand why they have wronged us. So I think the best way to forgive is to see their views and find all of the facts about the event. This will not always help because some people just do bad stuff, but if it works one out of ten times then it is worth it. I believe your goals are reasonable and will work. I also chose to use the loving-kindness exercise for fostering growth in my health. I enjoy the practice and think it will work for anyone practitioner or client! I also believe subtle mind will work universally! Very well though out essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monica,
    What a wonderful plan for striving for and achieving integral health. I really like the way you described our responsibility in helping others walk this path with us, as opposed to dictating a lifestyle that we ourselves don't follow, which seems to be a theme of western medicine. I also appreciate the fact that throughout this course we have all had a chance to learn and realize that our practice is our own, and we can take responsibility for our physical, psychological, and spiritual health instead of waiting for someone else to do it for us. Good luck in your journey!

    ReplyDelete